So far all the recipes I have posted have been quick and easy meals that generally keep to the same ingredients, to help lighten your cool bag instead of lightening your wallet. Unfortunately this recipe lightens the wallet instead but it is a cost worth paying: pancakes with Nutella and Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked ice cream. I know right. Just the thought makes it worth it and that’s before you’d even tried them.
My housemate and I made these whilst we were revising for exams and needed a treat/comfort food. People have gazed in awe when I’ve told people about them. I’m pretty sure that if you make a batch of these in your hostel kitchen and offer them around then guaranteed you will also make a whole new batch of travel buddies- if you can only bring yourself to share them or, at the very least, it’s a conversation starter in the kitchen when people notice what you are doing.
- One egg
- Two heaped tablespoons of plain flour
- Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked
- Break egg into bowl and beat before sieving flour and beating together until smooth.
- Add enough milk to make the mixture fairly runny before beating for a few minutes.
- Melt butter into a frying pan before pouring in enough mixture to coat the pan with a thin layer. Move the pan around, tilting it to coat the pan evenly.
- Cook for a few minutes, life up one edge to check whether pancake is golden then turn over using a spatula (now is the time when you can try to flip it).
- Cook until golden on both sides.
- Repeat until mixture is used up and feel free to make more depending on how many people your are cooking for. These amounts should make enough for one or two people .
- When separated onto plates, coat in a layer of Nutella before adding a couple of scoops of ice cream and then roll it up.
- Finally, and most importantly, enjoy!
If the first one falls apart, don’t worry, happens to me every time!